The easiest apple butter recipe that anyone can make!
Apple butter has long been one of my favorite seasonal spreads. Slather it on some toasted bread or rolls and you have the perfect sweet treat. Bonus points if it is on cinnamon swirl bread – it’s amazing. We always get some apple butter from our favorite farmer’s market stand. So, I decided to make some myself so we could enjoy it anytime. This apple butter recipe is really simple. While it does take some time to make, it is only because it is in the slow cooker. Which requires little-to-no effort on your part. It makes the perfect house warming gift for the holidays and people will think you are the best cook ever!
- 5 1/2 lbs of apples (peeled, cored, and diced)
- 4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.