Dressing the bump has presented an interesting fashion experience over the last few months. Maternity style is new to me because this is my first pregnancy, and I certainly have learned a lot throughout the process. I am constantly trying to purchase items that will extend beyond my pregnancy. Comfort is KEY and I want to pass along some of my maternity must-haves that are not only necessary, but are also stylish!
These are some of my favorite maternity outfits I’ve featured on Polished Closets so far. Each outfit includes elements (both seen and unseen) that help me feel comfortable, stylish, and secure every day.
- LEGGINGS. Say hello to my new best friends. Most of the time, wearing jeans or other maternity pants are not very comfortable for long periods of time. I like to have a few options for leggings for dressing up or down. The Hue Leggings were something I wore long before I ever got pregnant and still continue to fit me as I’ve grown. I love these leather-look leggings because they make me feel chic and dressed up. And depending on what is most comfortable to you, over the bump leggings are always a great option. As I’ve grown, having something cover my bump makes me feel a bit more supported.
- COOBIE BRA. Confession: I wore these bras before I got pregnant because I really hate “real” bras. But I am so glad I had these once I got pregnant. The first trimester can be especially painful to a woman’s chest and these bras make it much more bearable.
- MATERNITY TANK. This tank top is a life saver and I have a few of the basic colors. My sister introduced me to this and I am SO glad she did. I use it for layering under all of my tops and sweaters because it makes me feel a bit more secure and smoothes out my leggings or pants (which always hit in strange places). I’m pretty sure I’ll be wearing it post-baby, too.
- MATERNITY DRESS. Having a simple, comfortable, and stylish black maternity dress is a must. You can use it for layering sweaters, jackets, and scarves, and it looks good with just about any shoe. I wear mine when I just need to throw on a quick outfit to run out or around the house because it’s comfy. If you’re pregnant in the summer, I would recommend getting a few colors!
- BELLA BAND. During the early stages of pregnancy when you aren’t your normal size, but you also aren’t really showing, a Bella Band is a life saver. It is basically a stretchy band that you wear over the top of your jeans and you can have your jeans unbuttoned and unzipped. Essentially, it helps extend the time that you can wear your jeans before switching over to maternity jeans.
- MATERNITY JEANS. Like I’ve said before, comfort is key, and I would recommend investing in one solid pair of maternity jeans. If you want more styles and colors, ASOS has a great selection of affordable maternity jeans and other clothing, but one really great pair is enough to get you through!
- MATERNITY PILLOW. Don’t skimp on this. It may seem like a splurge for a short period of time, but a maternity pillow is an absolute must, especially during the later months of pregnancy. This is the only thing that helps me sleep at night because I am usually uncomfortable, and I will most likely use it post-baby, too.
All Photography by Paige Winn Photo