My sweet tooth is undeniable lately, and last weekend I had a major craving for pie (#PregnancyProblems). I love blueberry pies, so I set out to figure out a new take on a classic recipe. Adding fresh citrus to these sweet treats adds the perfect hint of tart flavor to cut through too much sweetness. Personally, I always found baking to be intimidating, but this recipe is SO easy. I used pre-made pie crust and made the filling myself. It’s a great compromise because who actually has time to make real pie crust?! Not me. If you do, please invite me over, because I’d love to have some!
*This recipe makes enough filling for 2 full size pies as well as three mini pies.
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 cups of fresh blueberries, divided into 3 cups & 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 frozen pie crusts (for extra filling)
- 1 sheet of puff pastry dough, thawed (for mini pies)
Delicious Mini Blueberry Lemon Pie Recipe
- Follow instructions on frozen pie crusts and bake. (Mine were 400 degrees for 12 minutes).
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until smooth. Add 3 cups blueberries, lemon zest and juice of half a lemon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat. Add butter, remaining lemon juice and remaining berries; stir until butter is melted. Cool.
- In mini cast iron skillets, cut pastry dough to fit and press inside. Add pie filling until about 3/4 full. Top with pastry dough in desired pattern (I just made up whatever I wanted!). Place in 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes until puff pastry is brown. Sprinkle tops of pies with extra sugar and serve with ice cream or whipped cream!
- Divide remaining pie filling between the two pie crusts. Place into refrigerator until serving.