Making an investment in a pair of shoes can be daunting, especially if you purchase a pair of suede shoes. It’s hard to clean suede shoes – you basically can’t once they are deeply stained. However, you can protect them from the beginning so you don’t have to worry about messing them up. I know I am so paranoid about ruining any shoes I buy since I am kind of rough on shoes in general. Fortunately, I have found my secret shoe weapon: Suede Protector. I’m not sure what took me so long to find this product, but it the best suede protector out there, and it’s under $10.
So, to make sure your shoes stay in amazing shape, follow these simple steps below. You can protect your shoes for ever in under 30 minutes. (PS: this size will give about 3 pairs of boots protection).
- If your shoes are brand-new, out of the box, you can skip this first step. Make sure to clean your shoes. I love using this suede care kit. Just rub the pad lightly back and forth over any blemishes or scrapes in the suede and then gently rub with the brush. I also make sure I use a light hand for this process.
- Now that your shoes are nice and clean, grab a towel and your shoes, and head outside. This stuff is heavy duty and you don’t want to stink up your home with these fumes. Lay out the towel in an open, well-ventilated area. Lay your shoes or boots out.
- Spray the suede protector evenly over your shoes. I spray about 3-4 feet away. If you have a lighter suede (the the ones pictured above), it may look wet at first. Don’t panic! It will dry in about 10 seconds.
- If I’m spraying boots (like OTK boots), I will lay them on one side and spray. I let them dry for about 5 minutes on the first side and then turn over.
- After you’ve sprayed the whole shoe, let them dry for about 10-15 minutes and then repeat this process so you have two solid coats. I would also recommend giving them a spray down after your first wear and then again every few months for a touch up.
my favorite suede shoes