Confession: Sleeping is one of my favorite hobbies (along with eating and watching TV). I need a solid 7-8 hours of sleep to feel refreshed and just plain functional. Being organized is a huge part of my daily life, and not only do you have to be physically organized, but you also need to be mentally organized. Something that has helped me get my mind right and become more of a morning person is having a set routine. Follow these tips to have a happy start to your morning!
- Don’t hit snooze. I swear, I’m not joking. I used to be the queen of snooze, but waking up when that annoying alarm goes off really does make all the difference.
- Focus on today. Do you lay awake at night thinking about what happened that day or what you have to do tomorrow? I certainly am. Don’t translate that habit into your morning. Focus on a positive attitude for the day ahead and just let it go.
- Put your phone down. I use my phone as my alarm, so I immediately pick it up and go through my emails/social media/texts. Give yourself a respite from the connected world and just relax. Check your phone once you’re out of bed.
- Drink a glass of water. Hydration is key, people. Chug a glass of water, or just drink it. Whatever. You will feel refreshed and your skin will thank you.
- Make your bed. I know, we’re all grown ups here, but making your bed sets the tone for your entire day: productive and accomplished. You’ve completed this chore, so you certainly can tackle anything the day throws at you.