Original image via.
If you’re anything like me, organization is not just a necessity, it is a hobby. Rearranging my closet is a sport, and I always intend to win. However, if you’re organization-challenged, these five steps can get you on your way to a more organized home and mind. Let’s begin 2015 with a fresh start.
- Purge. I really can’t stress this enough. Go through your closet. Did you wear that shirt at all least year? Or those pants? If the answer is no, then get rid of them! Cleaning out your closet of unnecessary items not only offers you a more cultivated style, but it gives you more room for the things that really matter.
- Do you really need that? Ask yourself this question when you’re shopping. If you can answer these three questions, then go for it: When will you wear it? What will you wear it with? Do you have anything else like it? I am guilty of getting caught up in the shopping moment and convincing myself that I NEED five blanket scarves. If we are honest with ourselves in the mall or before we click “add to cart,” we will save ourselves a lot of time, money, and valuable closet space.
- Find a place. When those new shoes or that necklace make the cut, you need to find a place for them. Giving each item in your home a place, whether it be bills, blankets, or booties, reminds you to put it back in that place once you’re done using it. This cuts down on misplacing important items and helps keep your home and mind chaos-free.
- The little things. Even the little things, like jewelry, perfume, and make-up, all require organization. If you can find a corner, a drawer, or a tray for the smaller items, it will prevent you from having only one statement earring or from your makeup drawer from becoming a free-for-all of makeup samples and out-dated items.
- Love what you have. The easiest way to cut down on clutter is to simply love what you have. After you’ve edited what you don’t need, appreciate the many items that are already around you. And now that you can see your space more clearly, you can find a new way to wear that leather jacket or sparkly pumps.
Shop my favorite organization tools